Frequently Asked Questions

When do I contact Disability and Student Intervention Services?

Students requesting academic accommodations for the Accuplacer Skills Assessment should contact Disability and Student Intervention Services at least two weeks prior to when they plan to take the assessment. Otherwise, new students should contact DSIS at least one month prior to the semester in which they will be attending.  Returning students should contact DSIS prior to the beginning of classes for the new semester.

How do I provide documentation of my disability?

Current documentation needs to be presented to DSIS. Please keep a personal copy of all documentation you submit to DSIS. DSIS does not release copies of documentation back to students or send documentation to other institutions. This documentation should not be included with the college application.

Is documentation about my disability confidential?

Yes. FERPA laws protect the confidentiality of information concerning disabilities.

What are the procedures for obtaining accommodations?

Students who wish to obtain accommodations for their classes must follow Disability and Student Intervention Services (DSIS) procedures:

1. Complete the online intake form and submit documentation of a disability to our office:

  • Use our online intake form: Harford Accommodate
  • Submit documentation by uploading it to the online intake form or in-person delivery at the time of your DSIS Orientation appointment.
  • Please note, once your intake form has been submitted, DSIS will contact you to schedule your DSIS Orientation with a DSIS Advisor.

2. Schedule and attend your DSIS Orientation. During the orientation you will:

  • Complete our registration forms and discuss the documentation you submitted.
  • Provide details about barriers you experience in your academics.
  • Discuss accommodations that would work best for you and how to set up those accommodations.
  • Please note, you are not considered fully registered with the office until you have completed your DSIS Orientation, provided documentation, and been approved for accommodations.

3. DSIS will contact you regarding accommodations. If Approved, you will receive an email to your Harford Owlmail account instructing you how to request and secure your accommodations through Harford Accommodate:

  • Log into Harford Accommodate to make your semester request for accommodations.
  • Once your Semester Request is approved, print your Accommodation Memos, submit a copy to your instructor and contact your instructor to discuss your accommodations (i.e. either through face-to-face meeting or electronically).
  • Please note, you can contact DSIS at any time if you have questions or concerns about your accommodations.

I am a Veteran with a disability. What should I do to receive my benefits?

VA Educational Benefits are not handled through DSS but rather by the Coordinator for APG & Veterans' Services in Financial Aid Office. Contact Ms. Janice Cassady by email at or phone 443-412-2612. If you are interested in receiving academic accommodations for a disability, please follow the procedures for registering with DSIS.

What should I do if I believe I was entitled to different/additional accommodations?

The accommodation process is an interactive one. Consult with DSIS Staff if you have questions or concerns about the accommodations or services you believe you are eligible to receive. Try to participate fully in the process and exercise all due diligence in ensuring that DSIS Staff is aware of your needs.

DSIS provides for the equitable resolution of complaints by students with disabilities alleging a violation of their rights under the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Harford Community College has established informal and formal grievance procedures (PDF) to resolve differences regarding disability related accommodations.