Types of VA Educational Benefits

Applying for VA Educational Benefits

Go to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website for complete eligibility and entitlement information, or call 1-888-442-4551. Review the Department of Veterans Affairs website for information on the VA Education Benefit Programs Comparison Chart to ensure you are electing the benefits best suited for you.

Select the entitlement that best meets your eligibility and complete the VA Application. Print out a copy of your confirmation page. For your first semester enrollment at Harford in lieu of your Eligibility Letter from the VA, you can submit a copy of the confirmation page with your VA Certification Request form. You will be required to submit a copy of your Eligibility Letter for subsequent enrollments to be processed.

Principles of Excellence Program

Harford Community College participates in the Principles of Excellence program. Click here for more information.

GI Comparison Tool

The GI Comparison Tool can help you figure out the best way utilize benefits based on your experience.

Types of VA Educational Benefit Chapters

Click on the Chapter that you want to apply for and complete the application for as required by the VA. Make sure that you print out the confirmation page of the application as you may need it for future reference.

  • Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) 
    For active duty members who enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.
  • Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program
    For ill or injured Service-members who have not yet received a SCD rating do not need to wait to apply. Service-members expecting a discharge that is other than dishonorable who possess a VA memorandum or Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) rating of 20 % or more—as well as Service-members currently going through a Physical Evaluation Board—may be eligible to receive VR&E services.
  • Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill® 
    If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Students who withdrawal from class and are using Chapter 33 benefits, should complete the mitigating circumstances form if it is applicable to their situation.
    Transfer of Entitlement - For all Post 9/11 GI Bill® and/or Transfer of Entitlement information and inquiries, refer to the website or call 1-888-442-4551. Please note: the Veteran must apply to transfer benefits with the Dept. of Defense (DOD) and an approval email response must be submitted with the VA Application for Transfer of Entitlement, (Form 22-1990E).
  • Chapter 35 - Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) 
    The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.
  • Fry Scholarship - The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service-members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. Find out more information on payment rates. See our fact sheet which provides more detailed information. 
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) 
    For Reservists with a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve who are actively drilling. To Apply for MGIB-SR: Your unit will give you DD form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), when you are eligible for MGIB-SR. The VA will verify your eligibility after your unit codes you into the Department of Defense personnel system.
  • Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) 
    Provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress.

Continuing Education & Training Programs Approved for VA Educational Benefits

Harford Community College offers a multitude of continuing education programs that could help military members, veterans, or their family members receive a degree in a field that will always be in demand and also falls under the benefits offered by the VA. Review the list of programs to see which program interests you.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.